Questions & Concerns
1. What do I need to send you to begin the publishing process? Authors interested in the publishing services need to send in a completed Book Order & Design Packet. This form consist of the Book Order & Design Form, the Interior Page Design & Setup Form, Printed Promotional Pieces/Personalized Engraved Writing Pens Form, T-Shirt Advertising Form, and the Publishing Terms & Agreement Form. Author’s also need to submit their entire manuscript on a USB zip-drive or CD in Microsoft Word, Works, Notepad or InDesign and saved in a folder named My Poetry Book or something to let us know what the file is. Also, send in the Book Publishing Preparation Checklist. It would be helpful to send a printed copy of your manuscript as well. Send any pictures, illustrations or artwork and any other paperwork or forms concerning the publication of your book. Refer to the Book Publishing Preparation Checklist.
2. What is the P.I.L.P AUTHOR ID? The P.I.L.P Author ID is your Poetry Is Life Publishing author identification number. This identification number allows us to keep track of orders that each author makes and each identification is unique to that author. This identification number allows us to quickly recognize each author and process information in our system and it helps us keep a record of purchasing/ordering history, royalty payments and other important information. No two identification numbers are the same. Any paperwork that the author receives from us will have your identification number on it.
3. Should I put my manuscript into book format before sending it to you? You do not have to put your manuscript into book format before sending it to us. Refer to the Book Publishing Preparation Checklist.(PDF)
4. Do I have to save each section of my manuscript into a different folder? Refer to the Book Publishing Preparation Checklist. (PDF)
5. Do I have to hire an editor before I submit my manuscript to you? You do not have to hire an editor before submitting your manuscript to us if you don’t want to. When we put your manuscript into book format, it will be read and edited, then re-read and edited again. We will do our best to edit your book and make it mistake free when we send it to you.
6. What is Email Editing, Over-The-Phone Editing and Edit Log Sheets? The Email Editing feature is the fastest way to submit the edits the author has for their book for correction. Edits sent this way will be corrected the same day. The Over-The-Phone editing feature allows the author to call in their edits either by speaking to the publisher directly or leaving a message. Edit Log Sheets are sheets that you write your edits on a mail to Poetry Is Life Publishing to be corrected. This way will take the longest to get your edits corrected. This is how the edits should be recorded:
7. Can I send in a handwritten manuscript? Handwritten manuscripts are accepted but we HIGHLY RECOMMEND sending your manuscript in digital format on a USB zip-drive or CD. With the advance of technology and computers being readily available for free at local libraries, it is easy to type your manuscript and save it. Sending us a digital version of your manuscript that we can easily format and edit makes the publishing process running smooth and efficient, giving the author the best publishing experience possible. By having a digital version, the author can have their book in their hands in a more timely manner.
8. Do you accept international manuscripts? Poetry Is Life Publishing does not accept international manuscripts.
9. Why is the Why do I want to have my book published section so important? This section is important because it is the reason you wrote the book. People who are going to potentially buy your book deserve to know why you wrote it. This is the best way to connect with the people who are going to buy your book and it will create a positive buzz surrounding the release of your book. This is a personal marketing tool that will be featured on the website and social media outlets as a marketing and advertising platform.
10. What will my book look like once it's complete? Author’s have complete control over what their book will look like from beginning to end. From the cover to the paper to the text placement, to the font to the trim size and more, the author is in control. Your book will be laminated with your choice of either a glossy lamination or a soft-touch matte lamination. Your cover, front and back will feature the cover art you gave us or stock photos or designs by author or Poetry Is Life Publishing to design your book, with your name and the name of your book and other important information. The interior pages will either be soft cream or soft white 24/60 lb paper with your choice of book name/author name placement, text placement, font, page number/accent placement. Your back cover will feature any pictures or text you wanted as designs along with your barcode with ISBN and the Poetry Is Life Publishing logo. The spine will feature the author's name, the name of your book and Poetry Is Life Publishing name or logo.
11. Are the first two pages included in the page count? No. The first two pages are not included in the page count. These pages are necessary to the professional publication of your book. Even though you didn't write these pages as part of your manuscript, they are a very important part of your book. The title and copyright page lest the public know who wrote the book and that the book is protected by copyright laws among other important publishing information. When considering how many pages your book will have, do not include these pages as part of your book. Refer to the Book Publishing Preparation Checklist. There is a difference between a 60 page book and having 60 poems in your book.
12. Do I have to purchase a book promotional package for my book? No. You do not have to purchase a book promotional package. When you publish your book with us, you will receive full color printed promotional pieces as part of the publishing package. There are other items that can be purchased if you want other items to promote your book outside of what is originally offered.
13. What is the difference between printing, payment and publishing/publication? Printing is described as your manuscript being put into book form and printed out into a physical book. Payment is described as making a monetary payment for publishing services, by way of the Payment Plan in two equal parts: one payment sent with the Permission to Print Form(s) and the other payment when the author is ready to receive the other books. Payment In Full: Entire payment with the Permission to Print Form(s). Payment can be made with a check or money order. Publishing and or publication is the distribution of your printed book to the author and the public for sale. At the publication stage, the author will have made at least one payment, either through the payment plan or payment in full and will have received books from Poetry Is Life Publishing for sale or distribution.
14. How soon can my book be published and ready for sale? This really depends on what the author wants for their book, why you chose to write your book. Do you just want to publish a book to say you published a book or is there a deeper meaning to why you published your book. It takes time to read, edit, design, market, advertise; re-read, edit again, re-design, market some more, advertise some more to bring attention to your book. Publishing is a process, and one, that if you want a quality product, takes time. Author’s books can be published in as little as three months, given everything is approved by the author and all payments are made. Publishing is a process and it takes times to make sure that your book is edited correctly and that all design features are made exactly as you want. It may take longer if extensive corrections need to be made or other circumstances present themselves. It is our goal to produce excellent quality books that represents and reflects the vision and voice of the author and a product both the author and the public is proud to have purchased.
15. Is there a timeframe for the Payment Plan and can I pay in full? There is not a timeframe for the payment plan for publication. We understand that things happen and you have to sacrifice one thing for the other. As long as the author communicates the issue concerning the publication of their book, the Poetry Is Life Publishing will work with you and publication can go on as planned. You can pay in full but the payment plan is available in case something unexpected comes up, this way, you will have a little bit of money to take care of that particular situation.
16. If using the payment plan, when will I receive my books? If utilizing the payment plan, the first half of the books will be shipped to author 15-30 days after receipt of the Permission to Print Form with payment. The other half of the books will be shipped to the author 15-30 days after payment has been received. If paying in full, author will receive their books 15-30 days after receipt of Permission to Print Form and payment.
17. How does the copyright process work for my book? Author’s keep all rights to their work. As part of the publication services, Poetry Is Life Publishing will file the author’s work for copyright registration, submit deposit copies and payment. Author will be informed at all stages of the copyright process. Once the work is registered with the copyright office, the author will receive the registration certificate. Visit www.copyright.gov to learn more about the copyright registration process.
18. Where can interested individuals buy my book? People will be able to order your book directly from Poetry Is Life Publishing through postal mail: Send payment and order form to: Poetry Is Life Publishing, P.O. Box 228, Akron, Ohio 44309.
19. Will my book be available in book stores? The books we publish will not be in major retail bookstores at this time. We want to make sure the author gets as much of the sale as possible. With books being in the stores, the author doesn’t get as much of the sale as they would if there book was purchased from Poetry Is Life Publishing. There are no distributors to worry about and no online stores taking their cut of the sale. There may be specialty stores that sale the books we publish. Any bookstore that carries the books we publish, the author will have a complete list of those stores with pricing and royalty rates.
20. How long does it take to ship books to the author and to other consumers? By having a small inventory, books can be sent out that same day the order is made. Depending on where you live, you may receive it 3-7 business days but no later than 10 business days. Add $3.00 for shipping .
21. How do I get my book into my local library? You would contact the Special Collections Department or a similar department at your local library. Inform them that you are an author and you would like to get your book in the library's collection. Check with your local library for their rules and guidelines. Poetry Is Life Publishing will donate (2) two books and ship any books to libraries that want to stock them.
22. Do you help with author book signings? If the author is having a book signing, the author is responsible for providing everything needed for the book signing, (the place where the book signing is to be held, a down payment or deposit if needed, the books, posters, flyers, food, etc.) unless an agreement is established in writing with Poetry Is Life Publishing and signed by the publisher. The agreement would describe what the role of publisher or representatives of Poetry Is Life Publishing is. The agreement must be clear of what is expected by all parties and signed by all parties.
23. How do royalties and discounts work? Author’s receive a 70 percent royalty on the total sales for the month from consumer purchases from Poetry Is Life Publishing. Royalty payments and statements are mailed to the author every month after the first six months. Any author purchases will receive a ten percent discount after the initial order. Any author that publishes two books with Poetry Is Life Publishing will receive 30 percent off their next book publishing package. See Terms & Conditions.
24. Are you able to share information with the author on where press releases are sent? Yes. Press releases will be sent to *local and national media and associations of similar interest. The names of the media and associations are available upon request with names, phone numbers, email addresses and websites when available. As far as book reviews go, get information from your *local newspaper and see what their policies are for book reviews. Poetry Is Life Publishing will provide no more than (3) books for review.
25. Do you accept manuscripts that were being published by other publishers but were eventually cancelled? Yes. As long as you are not under a legal contract with another publishing company concerning your book, we have no problem helping you publish it the book falls within our guidelines. If the book is under contract with another publisher we will not attempt to publish it. The author must provide Poetry Is Life Publishing with a typed, signed statement on company letterhead from the company that cancelled publication of the book and the reason the publication of the book was cancelled.
26. Why is the Permission to Print Form important? The Permission to Print Form is important because it gives the author control over the printing and publication of their book. It ensures that your book doesn't go to print unless you give permission. You want to make sure that all edits are complete and that all design features have been made to your liking and this form ensures that the author has the final say in the printing of their book.
27. When the author sends the Permission to Print Form, how soon will the book go to print? When the author is completely satisfied with their book and is ready for it to go to print, the author needs to submit the Permission to Print Form. Once the Permission to Print Form is received, the publisher will contact the author and inform the author that their book will go to print 3 days from that contact date. If the author states that edits still need to be made, the edits and corrections will be made and a new Permission to Print Form will need to be completed and submitted before the book can be printed.
28. What if I need to make edits once the Permission to Print Form is sent in? If you see that you need to make edits once you send in the Permission to Print Form, you must contact the Poetry Is Life Publishing immediately. Poetry Is Life Publishing is not liable for any edits once you turn in the form. As a courtesy, we will review your book again and contact you that the edits were made. You will also be contacted before your book goes to print.
29. If I am pleased with my book, should I send in the Permission to Print Form if I still need to make payments? Even though your turned in the Permission to Print Form, Poetry Is Life Publishing cannot ship the books until all the payments have been made. The Permission to Print gives Poetry Is Life Publishing permission to print. Payment ensures that you receive your books. Depending on the payment options: for payment plan for 25 and 75 books, for 25 books, the author will receive 10 books with the first payment and 15 book with the second payment. For 75 books, the author will receive 30 books with the first payment and 45 with the second payment. For 50 books, 25 books for first payment, 25 books for the second payment. For 100 books, 50 books for the first payment, 50 books for the second payment. For payment in full, books will be sent all at once.
30. If using the payment plan, when will I receive my books? If utilizing the payment plan, the first order of the books will be shipped to author thirty days after receipt of the Permission to Print Form with payment. The other number of books will be shipped to the author 15 days after payment has been received. If paying in full, author will receive their books 21 days after receipt of Permission to Print Form and payment.
31. Why are proofs important? Proofs are important because you have a physical copy of your book, you can see what it looks like and feels like. Your book is a visual project. The first proof is the format and initial edit, this may be the first time you've seen your manuscript in book form. Edits can be made in the proofs and serves as a visual guide. You might want to change something on the cover also. We will make the corrections that need to be made to your text and cover. Once you are ready to receive your second proof, you may do so by requesting your second proof. This proof will reflect the changes that you wanted made from the first proof.
32. Can I list my personal contact information in my book? Yes. You can have your personal information in your book. Having this information in the public eye can be unsafe. Anyone that wants to contact the author can do so by writing Poetry Is Life Publishing and the publisher will inform the author of any contacts. This way, your personal contact information is safe and out of the public eye.
33. When will I receive my book order and promotional package? Printed promotional pieces-(post cards, posters,) engraved writing pens, Author Book T-Shirt and Signed by Author labels? Book order will be shipped once a payment is made. With Payment Plan, Printed Promotional Pieces will be mailed first along with Signed by Author labels. The Author Book T-Shirt will be mailed after that. The author will receive Personalized Engraved Writing Pens and other books once the second payment is made.With Payment In Full, the Printed Promotional Pieces will be mailed first along with Signed by Author labels. The author will receive the Author Book T-Shirt and Personalized Engraved Writing Pens once Poetry Is Life Publishing receive them.
34. What are publishing elements? Publishing elements are features or tools that are important to the complete publication of the book. Sample books, I.S.B.N., Bar code, L.C.C.N./P.C.N., Stock Photo(s), Personalized Engraved Writing Pens, Signed by Author Stickers, Author’s Book T-Shirt and the time that is put into the publication of the book.